Solution: iPhone Stuck on ‘Connect to iTunes’ screen after Blackra1n

by Rohit on November 12, 2009

Stuck on Connect to iTunes after Blackra1n

“I Jailbroke my iPhone, everything was working fine and boom the Connect to itunes screen appeared!” If this is your story then the chances are that you own either a New iPhone 3gs, iPod Touch 3g or iPod Touch 2g MC.

All these models require a Tethered jailbreak. Now that brings us to the question: What is Tethered Jailbreak?

It means that every time you drain out your battery or have to restart your iPhone/iPod Touch(For eg: After an app installation), you will need to connect your iPhone/iPod Touch to your computer and re-run Blackra1n (Jailbreak tool), in order to power it back up again, if not the device will remain stuck on connect to iTunes screen.

Here’s the solution

1) Connect your turned off iPhone/iPod Touch to the computer using the usb cable. When you do this ‘Connect to iTunes’ will show up on the screen.

2) Run Blackra1n. If iTunes opens up, just minimize it without fiddling around. Just wait for your iPhone/iPod Touch to get fully charged and then close iTunes.

3) Congrats you are now out of ‘Stuck on connect to itunes’ misery.

Share:

{ 84 comments… read them below or add one }

overcast November 15, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I have a brand new Orange UK 16gb 3GS 3.1.2 and I’m stuck in the recovery loop. This solution does not seem to work? can you offer any more info?

Also, would the iRecovery work on this iPhone? I have tried it, using your instructions on http://www.digitalmarketingtalk.com/iphone/how-to-fix-the-problem-of-iphone-3gs-being-stuck-on-apple-logo-screen-or-in-recovery-mode/ , and it did not work. Can you send me some screenshots of the terminal screen when the iRecovery is being used?

Thanks

Liang Zhou November 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Thank you all I finally have my iPhne unlocked using blacksn0w. Thank you so very much.

Liang.

SrikanthAV November 17, 2009 at 6:12 pm

@Liang Cheers!

Sayan Ghosh November 23, 2009 at 6:55 am

Hi All,
I had successfully jailbroken and unlocked my iphone 3gs 3.1.2 using blackra1n and ultrasn0w. It was working fine with another service provider. But while I was trying to send a text message, the iphone suddenly got off (i mean the screen is blacked out as if its turned off). I tried to restart it several times and even putting it under response mode. Nothing worked. When I plugged my iphone through usb into the computer, its not being recognized. So even Itunes restore is not working. When I am tried to put the phone in silent mode using the side switch, the red dot for silent mode is coming. I am not sure what has went wrong. Please help me out with this.
Thanks and Regards,
Sayan Ghosh

Sayan Ghosh November 23, 2009 at 6:56 am

Sorry its restore* mode not response mode…

ADI December 3, 2009 at 6:29 pm

IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME.. I STILL GET STUCK ON THE CONNECT TO ITUNES SCREEN

Ken Lee January 1, 2010 at 6:29 am

Is it a joke ?

You mean that we should keep the iphone with sufficient power left so that there is no need to turn it off — and it will fix the tethered jailbreak issue ??

viccer January 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Yea, it’s called tethered jailbreak.

Thanks Rohit for the wonderful post, I managed to bypass the ‘Connect to iTunes’ image.

I’m on factory unlocked 16gig 3gs FW 3.1.2 base band 5.11.07

Rohit January 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm

@Viccer Cheers n Happy New year !

arjan January 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

anyone has a status on a true fix for this problem
cause this really sucks =p

Aouni January 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm

It worked for me, thank you!

I’m the same as viccer, on factory unclocked 3GS FW 3.2.1 BB 5.11.07

Though your solution worked, but still whenever I restart the phone it comes again and I have to do your solution again.

Is their a way to totally get rid of this? Bcoz I’m afraid that my phone might be restarted one day when I’m away from home and will not be able to solve the problem.

Thanks again, you’ve been very helpful.

brittany January 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm

thaank you SO much. i’ve been googling how to get rid of the screen and none of the solutions worked. Until, i found yours.
Thank you again.
=]

ASHGOON January 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm

sorry, don’t understand what the solution is? running blackra1n is the temporary answer, how is the “solution” different? how does this resolve this permanently? sorry if i’ve misunderstood here..

k38 January 29, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Thank you so much. Searched Google and was getting nonsensical ‘solutions’ and this one is so simple and straight to the point. More importantly – it works.

Rohit February 1, 2010 at 10:13 am

@k38 Cheers!

RG February 11, 2010 at 4:54 am

Hi. I have just unlocked/jailbroken a 32gb 3gs and I am also getting the ‘connect to itunes’ every time I have to reboot. Also, I have no wifi..I have tried to reset thru network settings, but nothing is happening..Is there any way of fixing either of these issues? Any help would be appreciated.

RG February 11, 2010 at 7:23 am

Hi again.

Regarding the ‘solution to the ….misery’ post above, is this a permanent fix or just until the next time you have to turn off your phone?

Ardnas February 13, 2010 at 8:30 am

Wow thank you so much this article really helped me!!! Lifesaver

Willeman March 1, 2010 at 6:46 am

This is a “temporarly” solution… Once you have your iphone turned off again you have to do this again… and again… im reseting my iphone back. This is bullshit

Willeman March 1, 2010 at 6:56 am

Thanks to this shit all my apps is gone… about 30 dollars just flew away :(

Rohit March 1, 2010 at 7:17 am

@Willeman Yes you will have to do this everytime your phone switches off. That’s what tethered jailbreak means. I am afraid you will have to settle for this as of now as there is no untethered solution available yet.

Coming to your apps getting wiped off. Once u resync your iPhones to iTunes, you can get all those apps back without having to shell out money again as you have already purchased it! So your $30 are safe :)

HD* March 3, 2010 at 12:15 am

hay i just tried doing this but its now stuck on a black screen and when i try to turn it on or off it takes me back to the connet your usb to itunes again i had ran blackra1n again and i have no idea what im doing now i have the tmobile sim card still in there what am i doing worng???

sushayyyyyyy ;) March 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm

me too :S HD i full have the same problem.. sucked cuz i was on my way to uni n was supposed to meet up with 3 different ppl to buy textbooks n all off.. and my fone friken turned off :( i died.. and i couldnt contact them.. did finally but took ages and i wish this worked..

sushayyyyyyy ;) March 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm

hang on.. fully charged meaning 100% battery lol.. i missed that i don’t know if it makes a difference though but ill do it

Sam March 9, 2010 at 10:57 am

Hi Rohit,
Let the phone not die is a very painful exercise. Many applications require device reboot (incl some from Cydia) – does that mean I am out of luck for those apps?
Have you heard any news of when this would be fixed?
Shall I try redsnow? Pls advise

Andrew Knueppel March 22, 2010 at 3:41 am

Thanks for this solution, i really was worried about my ipod touch, which is a 2g mc. Seems to be working great, now asks to be set up as a new ipod instead of telling me it is in recovery mode

matt March 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

When my phone shows the connect to itunes logo, i run blackrain with the phone connected via usb. Then the connect to itunes logo goes away and i get a black screen. It says that it was successful and blackrain says, “done, wait for reboot” but it stays on that screen and my phone still has a black screen. Don’t know what to do. I tried restarting my phone and trying again but keep getting the same thing. Any solutions? Please help me!

xcifer April 1, 2010 at 12:24 am

Hi Matt. If its all dead, the only solution is to reset the phone, but then it will go to software version 3.1.3. But if it is all dead, its the only solution.

Jord April 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Epic Fail.

Blackra1n has some major issues and does cause problems with the iphone 3GS.

alx April 6, 2010 at 7:42 pm

iPhone and iPod touch: How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows XP and Vista

iphoneuser April 27, 2010 at 8:34 am

I am experiencing exactly what Matt is having. I blackra1ned it and the screen go black with “done, wait for reboot” and it stay like this forever. Then I reset the phone to software version 3.1.3 as Xcifer has suggested and redsn0wed it with 0.9.4, but the phone cannot be read at all. Please help

D May 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I tried to download the new 3.0 OS on my iTouch and im not sure what happened but it says it needs to be restored. I pushed “restore” and i wait for it to restore and a pop up says “the iPod could not be restored. An unkown error occurred (1603).” What do i do? i have tried to restore it several times now.
I have not Jailbreaked my iPod either.

Iphoneuser May 10, 2010 at 2:50 am

Guys, I answered my own question.
Problem: I blackra1ned my phone, got stuck at Itunes-usb logo screen.
Solution: Restore it via Itune to 3.1.3 firmware. Once done, Itunes-usb logo screen will appear again, it will ask for a valid sim card (AT&T). Put in the valid sim card (you can borrow it from your friend who has AT&T as a provider). Open Itunes and it will recognize it right away, then it will ask to activate the phone, don’t activate. Now Blackra1n it, it will work. Remember, Blackra1n only does jailbreaking, not unlocking. Here’s the link to unlock.

Good luck.

Jack May 10, 2010 at 4:22 am

Thanks Iphoneuser I followed your steps and it worked :)

Nik May 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Dear Iphoneuser, I had the same problem where my phone is stuck on the ‘connect to Itunes’ screen.
If I follow your steps, my unlocked iPhone 3GS will get upgraded to firmware 3.1.3
How did you manage to do it?

Iphoneuser May 17, 2010 at 8:28 am

Nik, unfortunately yes. Your phone is stuck at the itunes-usb logo screen and there aren’t any way by far to get rid of it. The last attempt is to upgrade it to firmware 3.1.3 and start from there. I know I did mine (btw, mine is 2G not 3G). Follow my steps on the previous post, then open the link and do this step:
3.) How To Unlock the iPhone 3G/3GS if you are already Jailbroken and running Baseband 05.11.07.
To answer your question “As per the website you attached in your post, you cannot jailbreak and unlock iphone 3GS (3.1.3)?..”. I think you can but only with a good phone. Yours is stuck at the itunes-usb logo screen, remember?.
-Good luck.

emily May 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

okay. so i tried to get blackra1n last night and stupidly deleted the app before i downloaded cydia.
so i decided i would reset my phone and try for it again. and i did.
i plugged my phone in and now its stuck on the connect to itunes screen.
so i just realized it should have the new firmware. so why is this there?
idk whats going on. im stupid and dont understand any of this.
pleasseeee pleeeaaassseee please help me!!!!!!!!!!! HALP!
D: D: D:

emily May 22, 2010 at 8:58 pm

btw: my phone is a 3gs and i meant i restored it.

Iphoneuser May 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Emily, since you restored your phone, it wouldn’t hurt to restore it again and try my method.

Good luck.

Hi May 23, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Hi, I’m also stuck at this screen after some trouble with Blackra1n, but I’ve got another problem. I can’t even connect it with iTunes or Blackra1n. On my computer I get a message who says something like “the device isn’t known, try to connect it again” and in Blackra1n it’s stuck on “Waitng for device”. So.. I can’t do anything with my brand new iPod!
Anyone has any suggestion? Please help me out!

Jenboy May 24, 2010 at 6:40 am

One of my jailbroken/unlocked 3G iphone was stuck on “Connect to itunes screen” while the other was completely hung after I accidentally upgraded both to version 3.1.3
I have managed to get one of them working perfectly while the other can use all functions/application except to make calls :-) for which I need to wait patiently until mid June for the unlock.
Here how I managed. (sound crazy but it worked).
1) Used RedSn0w only for one of the iphone which was completely hung & did not show the “Connect to itunes screen. (Used iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw & made sure the ipsw I download was not a zip file. Used Firefox instead of explorer).
Now I had 2 iphone with “Connect to itunes” screen
2) Used sn0wbreeze to create a fake ipsw (the programs does not specify but the fake ipws is saved on your desktop). Used iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw when asked).
3) Connected to itunes: Press shift & restore. Selected the newly created snowbreeze ipsw to restore. Both iphones were now jailbroken.
4) Use itunes again & press shift. This time restored back to genuine iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
5) Used RedSnow again to jailbreak. Now I had a jailbroken phone with a genuine ipsw.
6) Used Fuzzyband to downgrade the modem firmware. Succeeded with only one.
7) Use BlackSn0w to unlock the device which could be downgraded.

Jenboy May 24, 2010 at 6:47 am

& of course when there is no response at any stage press power for few seconds, then without releasing the power button press the home button for a few seconds. Then without releasing the home button release the power button for a few seconds. The device will then respond.

911 June 11, 2010 at 11:00 am

Blackra1n screen is then stuck on “done, wait for reboot” and my iphone reboots but with no BLACKRA1n icon????

lam June 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

worked fine for me thanks alot, but its annoying i have to do it everytime.

bpsturbo June 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Hi,
I have been jailbroke since Blackra1n was released and have drained my battery daily yet, this is the first time I have had the “Connect to iTunes” screen.. What gives? Also, I suppose I’ve lost everything that was on the phone as my hard drive it was synced to is stuck on the Blue Stop Screen?
Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.
Shelby

jad July 1, 2010 at 10:36 am

hi dont no what to do my phones still just got a black screen even tryed to restore factry settings threw itunes and it said it cant so iam stuk with a iphone with ablak screen .any ideas tred most things cant get anything to happen

odell July 7, 2010 at 11:29 am

hi i got the same problem and i live here in the philippines. i dont have an att sim card.. what should i do so i can use my iphone on any local sim.

joe July 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

i got the same problem. my formerly unlocked/jailbroken iPhone got stuck in recovery mode. just because i forgot to bring the usb cable with me during my last trip and the battery got drained.

anyway, the solution above was really a solution for me. it worked.

about re-running blackra1n when the iPhone starts, i had the same problem (as others have posted). i hope i don’t restart my iPhone that often (until a solution is available) :-)

thanks for the solution (= tip).

mailme_83s July 20, 2010 at 3:08 am

Hi, I have brand new iphone 3GS which is stuck at emergency call screen, I tried to use the Spirit but no luck. I don’t have the original SIM with me. Can anyone please help me out.
Regards

NeoTanker July 26, 2010 at 3:45 am

Hi, i am right with this guy. Blackra1n can fix tethered Jailbreak problem, but how cant fix it, it means that you ll jailbreak it with another jailbreak proqram, redsnow,spirit for exemple. I get same problem with my friend Iphone 3GS, and i fix this problem, reinstal firmware and he begin use outoff jailbreak, because his iphone is MC model!